Tuesday, December 15, 2009

When it rains...

...it pours gumdrops and lolly-pops!!

I got a job!! Well, actually I got my old job, back! Apparently the lone designer they kept working when I was let go was getting overloaded with projects to work on. Nine months ago when I was let go there were only four projects on the project board and now the board is filled up. This is a good sign of things to come for the company as most people are not doing construction projects during the holidays. As my boss has said, if you don't have much going on at this time of the year, then your next year will have even less, but if you do have projects going on then you'll have a good year. At least that's the trend he's seen in his 25+ years of experience (so I think I'll take his word on it).

Based on the projects on the board they think that it should take us through the next four months. My boss is hoping longer and hoping that they won't have to cut-back again (as I would, again be the one they cut). Fortunately they put me on payroll instead of a contract position, so in the event they have to let me go again I can at least qualify for unemployment. Oh and the even better news is that I got about a 3% raise from my previous pay. I'll only be working three days a week for now, hopefully I can sneak a few days in here and there though.

Also at the same time my old company called me back I also set up an interview with Luxury Design. Its for a residential design assistant position in Rancho Santa Fe. I don't know what the pay is, what the hours would be or really too much about the company so it'll be an informational interview, three days before Christmas. I am doubtful that they'll pay me more than I am getting currently, but we'll see. I do know that I would get a minimum of 32 hours a week, which I am not getting at my current job (24) but it'll all depend on the pay rate as it's also an hour away from home (the pay would have to compensate for the travel). Another thing is that I don't have much experience in residential design. It is something I'd like to get into (professionally) at some point, but my confidence in that area is low. 

The funny part about all of this happening this past week was that I had JUST begun working on my portfolio so that I could include it with my resume on my job hunt. Oh the irony.

The negative this month: I have yet to get an unemployment check from the past month. I should have received two by now, so it's really affecting our bank account and ability to knock out the last credit card we have. I won't get paid for another two weeks so hopefully I'll get something before then and get caught back up on our bills.

If I am not offered the residential design position (or it's not what I want, if offered), I think I'll sign up for classes at cadteacher.com they offer online and onsight classes for Auto CAD (computer aided drafting). It's roughly a thousand bucks to take all of the classes needed to get certification in AutoCAD. Basically starting you in the introduction class, then intermediate, advanced, project management and finally the exam certification prep class. All of the classes are four hours each day, two days a week, for two to three weeks with the exception of the prep class which is only a few hours in one day. I would want to take the onsight classes as I am not a big fan of computer learning (what if I have a question??). The only drawback is that they are located in Pt. Loma - such a long drive to make for a lengthy class. I think if I could suck it up and deal, then it'll be worth it in the end. Plus I could always stay at my bestest's place (if not my parents)!!

As I posted on Twitter the other day "Things seem to be looking up, for me. Hopefully things will get better for others before 2009's end so we can start 2010 on the right foot!"

No comments:

Post a Comment