Monday, December 28, 2009

The year that sucked.

2009.

Why this year sucked (for me)...

1. Unemployment:
During the first three months of the new year I knew I would be losing my job, eventually. Sure enough at the end of March two of us were let go. My Mom & Dad, Mom & Dad in law, Sister in law, best friend and several other people that I know were all let go as well (some in 2008) and most are still unemployed.

2. Foreclosure:
We decided to give up our house in June. First we tried a loan modification, which they wouldn't do because we were still current on our loan, with no late payments. Next we tried to short sell it, which they wouldn't do without us first signing a promissory note in the amount of $15,000 payable over 10 years - no thanks! And our last option was to foreclose, which will be effective January 2010. No biggie - we'll move on.

3. Hospitals and Losses:
Well, my Grandma Owens passed away at the beginning of 2009 and my Uncle Gary Owens during the middle of 2009. My Aunt Mildred fell, broke her leg and hip (this after having a hip replacement) and is still not doing so well at the hospital, my Grandpa Smith fell the day before Thanksgiving and had slight bleeding on his brain, he was released two days later and a weekend after that my Grandma Smith was at the ER for her eye - which she now has to have surgery on. My Dad has been having issues with his leg (which seems to be getting better) and my Mom had to have neurosurgery on her lower spine (which she is doing well from). Several other family members have been in and out of the hospital for various reasons as well. More so than usual.

On a more positive note...

Nine months after I was laid off I received an email that the company I used to work for needed some help, so I came back to work for them as a regular part-time employee with a 3% pay raise (started December 12th). Hopefully this will be more permanent an I can learn and grow more from the experience of being laid off. I have learned the value of having a job and will (hopefully) no longer complain about having to go to work, or do the things expected of me. I am grateful to be working again. We had a vacation in Cabo that was memorable, especially with the majority of those in attendance being unemployed at the time. This year has definately pointed out our financial flaws and we've learned how to improve upon them. I think we've been doing well. We've managed to pay off every one of our credit cards and our savings account is continually growing. I got to see my brother and his family from Arizona as well as my Aunt and Uncle and cousins from Colorado, aside from the incident with my Grandpa - this made for a great and memorable Thanksgiving - it was nice to have everyone together (with a cardboard cut-out makeshift Grandpa).

The way this year has ended is giving me hope that 2010 will be better for everyone.

Here's to ending 2009 on a positive note. *cheers*

Plans for 2010? (no not resolutions, I have my list for that).
--Vacation with just Craig and I (Brazil? Ireland? Tropical Getaway? Europe?)
--Moving out of the in-laws place (House? Apartment? Condo?..who knows!)

1 comment: