Thursday, October 28, 2010

New Recipe: Pumpkin Chili

I was looking around on allrecipes.com for some good pumpkin pie recipes and stumbled upon "Pumpkin Chili' so I had to give it a go. Here is the recipe (with my modifications) and the results.

Oh yea and I am changing the name of this to "Pumpkin PIE Chili" because I like it better.

Pumpkin Pie Chili
  • 2 Lbs. Ground Beef 
    • I only had 1lb so that is all I used.
  • 1 Large Onion, Diced
    • The recipe didn't specify what type of onion, I used yellow.
  • 1 Green Bell Pepper, Diced 
    • We bought our peppers from the farmers market, so they are much smaller than what you'd find at a regular grocery store I used two small ones to compensate.
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
  • 1 (46 fluid ounce) can tomato juice
  • 1 (28 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes with juice
  • 1/2 cup canned pumpkin puree
    • Rather than only using 1/2 cup out of a 15oz can of pumpkin puree I used the whole can - waste not want not, right?
  • 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice 
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
    • Because I used the entire can of pumpkin puree I decided not to add the extra sugar. I didn't want the chili to turn out too sweet.
In a large pot over medium heat, cook beef until brown; drain. 
Stir in onion and bell pepper and cook 5 minutes. 
Stir in beans, tomato juice, diced tomatoes and pumpkin puree. 
Season with pumpkin pie spice, chili powder and sugar
 Simmer 1 hour.  (Note: While it's simmering, be sure to stir every so often - I didn't and ended up with some burnt yuck at the bottom).
 Overall it was really yummy! We have enough leftover to play with so I intend on adjusting it a bit. It had no "kick" to it so if you're not a fan of spicy chili then this would be a great recipe for you - if you like spicy I'd suggest adding some diced jalapeno (that will be my next adjustment). I am glad I made the adjustment with the pumpkin puree and nixing the sugar. Oh and only one bowl was enough for Craig to get nice and full...although he had three biscuits with it.

1 comment: