Friday, January 7, 2011

A crazy week!

This week has been crazy for me!! Okay -- to others who have been working or who have been going to school or been doing both - not so crazy. For me...whose been out of school for four years and out of work for at least six months (and off and on prior to that) this week has been crazy!! My schedule isn't really all that hectic to be honest but I am just not used to having to be somewhere at a certain time, navigating to and from my class locations (while lugging books and keeping warm), keeping up with housework and meals, getting homework/projects done and now working from home in the off chance I have a moment to do so (and the work is available). The week isn't even over yet and I already feel like I am falling behind!! To top everything off - Hubby is on a new diet so now I can't just toss some spaghetti on the stove and call it done, I've got to come up with some meals that he can actually eat. Granted, he did agree to cook one night a week *at least* as I just lack the chance to do so myself that particular night.

I will say that so far my classes are super fun! Monday nights I have my sewing class and it was the first time that I ever did anything with my NEW machine. Yes, I have a new sewing machine instead of the hand-me-down one that Craig's Aunt gave me. What's the story there? Well I took the machine (a Singer that was about 10-15 years old) in to get cleaned up, get the timing fixed and make sure it was in working order. The repair shop then told me it would cost more money to fix the machine than it was worth and suggested I recycle it - so I did. It made the most sense to go this route as just the cost to clean and fix it up was $104 and the part that was broken (a cam-shaft?!?) was difficult to get and costly to replace. A new machine with extra parts and in perfectly working order was $200. I added the stores 3-year maintenance plan for an extra $100 which means I can bring my machine in as many times as I want or need to over the next 3-years with no additional cost (base price to have it cleaned up is $84 and it's suggested to do so at least once a year), plus I get 20% off at the store in the event I need supplies during my sewing class (which coincidentally is at the same store.) The class is fun though - there are only five students in the class so it's easy to get one-on-one time with the instructor and no one should fall behind on projects. There is only one lady in the class who has never once sewn in her life but she seems to be a quick learner, the rest of us have sewn projects here and there and just want to get better at what we're doing. Personally - I just want to know my machine. I am super excited about the projects we'll be making and am also excited to start making gifts for friends and family. I have a huge list forming!!! I also talked with Craig and he thinks I should make an etsy account to sell handmade things - we'll see how that goes (as everyone and their mothers uncle has an etsy account these days).

My Tuesday and Thursday morning class is Environmental Ethics. So far it seems like everyday we'll hold a class discussion on "What is Nature?" and on our reading assignments - which is pretty cool except that I am not a big "discussion" person - I like to listen to discussion's and hear what others have to say but I am not much of a vocal person or one to share my opinion in public. I suppose it's my way of avoiding arguments. We'll have a few research papers to write, but overall I think the class should be pretty fun. Oh!! One really cool thing about the class is that it's locally based - meaning it's Environmental Ethics in relation to the Pacific Northwest - so we won't be talking about global issues or ozone layers or anything of that nature. I thought that was really cool because it'll be a great way for me to get to know the area better and I can do things on my own to help "save the environment" --at least, locally.

My Tuesday and Thursday evening class is Intro to Building Systems. I took a similar class at DISD but neglected to pay much attention and it was apparent when it came time to use the material at work. I didn't feel as if I knew what I was looking at sometimes or what my boss was talking about. So I decided to take the class again - I'm glad I did. This class is also locally based so I can get to know Oregon codes, zoning and the way the Oregonians do things. This class is also residential based - which is new to me so I hope to learn a lot more in regards to building and designing residential. I've only done assignments and work related issues in the commercial field so it's a welcome change!!

My Wednesday night class is manual photography - and it doesn't start until next week, so I will tell you all about it then!

As far as work is concerned - if you've read my past entries I mentioned my old job in CA asked me if I was available to do some Auto CAD work for them on an as needed basis. I told them I was willing and able to do the work and naturally-- the work started this week! I started on Wednesday afternoon and typically should be working Monday, Wednesday and Fridays and the weekend if the work-load allows. Also; because I have 3 hours in between classes on Tuesday's and Thursdays, I can work then as well. It'll be nice having the extra income and the work keeps me busy and motivated - yippie!

1 comment: